As a freelance attorney, you may find yourself in need of a well-written independent contractor agreement. An independent contractor agreement lays out the terms and conditions of a working relationship between two parties that are not employees of each other. This type of agreement is particularly important when you are hired to provide legal services on a project-by-project basis. To help you get started, here is a sample attorney independent contractor agreement:
[City, State ZIP Code]
[Your Phone Number]
[Your Email Address]
[City, State ZIP Code]
[Client Phone Number]
[Client Email Address]
Agreement made on [Date] by and between [Your Name] (“Contractor”) and [Client Name] (“Client”).
1. Services: Contractor will provide legal services to Client as an independent contractor. Specifically, Contractor will:
[Insert description of services to be provided]
2. Compensation: Client will pay Contractor a fee of [Insert amount] for the services rendered. Payment will be made within [Insert payment terms] of completion of the work.
3. Relationship of Parties: This Agreement does not create an employment relationship, agency relationship, or partnership between Contractor and Client. Contractor is an independent contractor and will not be eligible for any benefits provided by Client to its employees.
4. Confidentiality: Contractor agrees to keep confidential all information that is obtained during the course of providing legal services to Client.
5. Intellectual Property: Any intellectual property created by Contractor in the course of providing legal services to Client will be owned by Client.
6. Termination: Either party may terminate this Agreement upon [Insert notice period] written notice. Upon termination, Contractor shall return all Confidential Information to Client.
7. Indemnification: Contractor expressly agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Client from any and all claims, actions, damages, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with the performance of Contractor`s duties under this Agreement.
8. Governing Law: This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of [Insert state].
9. Entire Agreement: This Agreement supersedes all prior discussions and agreements between the parties, written or oral. This Agreement may not be amended except in writing signed by both parties.
By signing below, the parties acknowledge that they have read and understood the terms of this Agreement and agree to be bound by its terms.
[Your Signature] [Date]
[Client Signature] [Date]
In conclusion, having an independent contractor agreement in place is essential for any freelance attorney. It not only protects both parties, but it also helps ensure that the scope of work, compensation, and other important details are clearly defined from the outset. Use this sample agreement as a starting point and customize it to fit your specific needs and the needs of your clients.